Monday, July 20

Pertandingan Otak Geliga

19.07.2009
Yes, me nico and jess entered mighty minds at Sunway! Its a competition regarding maths, science and general knowledge. We've been waiting for this day fr ages. So we were categorised on the blue team. There were 120 teams competing. While waiting for our category to compete:
we sat down, on the floor of sunway pyramid, wearing our school uniforms, on a sunday -- how sad -.-


Then we got called to take our seats in the centrecourt. Believe it or not, jessica got interviewed! I was sitting right next to her so there's a possibility my cheek masuk TV ! Pfft. I was the team leader so I sat in the middle and took control of the answering remote thingy majiggy. We aced the first seven answers and we were super excited. Then, we got 3 answers wrong in a row. Shoot, these questions were tough O.O Then, came the 14th question. We calculated and got the right answer. But curse it, my finger pressed C instead of B ! Oh Noooo! I was SOOO guilt-ridden for pressing the wrong button. So another strike. All I wanted to do was electrocute myself. I was endlessly asking for forgiveness from my team mates ): Dah lah guna pen nicholas, spring dia asyik terbang sini sana, haishh stress stress.

Then came a question about basketball. Kebetulan I watched basketball with my dad a few weeks before and I knew the answer was Orlando Magic. Nico and Jess were clueless, so I answered and success! It was correct. What a life-saver. So all in total, we got 150 marks. I felt like a loser -.- They ask the team leaders to stay in their seats. Only top 15 from my category qualify for the next round. So they showed the results for top 12 first. No 12 : 160 marks. I knew it then that I have failed my team ): Suddenly they showed no 13-15. They listed all the 150 marks. Maybe there's still hope. They arranged the marks according to how fast we keyed in our answers. (All thanks to nicholas who always got the answers as fast as lightning. We are truly grateful) Alas, beautiful number 13 ! I was immensely overwhelmed with happiness, I seriously wanted to scream and kiss the floor. How grateful (: We were one of the top 30 teams from 120 teams that qualify to the hands-on challenge. Wuhuu!

Hands-on challenge :
CONSTRUCT TWO PORTABLE ELECTROCHEMICAL CELLS IN A SERIES ARRANGEMENT THAT CAN LIGHT UP AN LED.

I was like, say what ? We were supplied with copper (II) sulphate, copper and magnesium strips, straw, wooden sticks, connesting wires, cellophane tape, and some house hold disposable items. We had to submit our model design sketch in 30 mins! Shoot, serious susah. Our drawing was like hahaha dont even want to tell. So we constructed our design and the LED was hopeless -- it didnt light up. So did another 29 teams. Only one team had their LED lighted up. Damn good. So no, we did not get to the finals, but it was a greaaaaat experience.

*Our model

Apa lagi? Lepas tu, JALAN! We bought harry potter tickets and watched it. But it was unsatisfying ): I'll rate 5/10. To me, it was not smooth and the character development could have been better. Then we had sakae sushi, had great laughs. You guys are awesome!

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home